One of the great aspects of being a therapist at Craig Hospital is helping patients reach their full potential. For those working in Craig's Assistive Technology Lab, this thrill happens routinely as new developments in hardware and software continue to help people with disabilities live happier and more productive lives. "Not only do we get to work up close and personal with patients in our lab, we can also offer helpful solutions that are just a mouse click away," says Jill Baldessari, Occupational Therapy Supervisor at Craig.
For example, Jill had a patient ask if she would accompany him to Craig’s gift shop and help him pick out a Valentine’s Day card for his wife. However, since they lived out of state, he was worried she wouldn’t receive it in time. Jill suggested he email a card instead. He was shocked this was an option and didn't realize how easily computers can translate a person’s voice into written words. All that is needed is the software program and microphone to connect to a computer.
Within minutes, Jill was able to access her laptop, which is equipped with this software and a built-in microphone, and helped him dictate a message that he could deliver to his sweetheart through email.
The software she used is called Dragon NaturallySpeaking. You can also use it to search your computer, find maps, news and images. In fact, the more you use it, the more it “learns” how you talk and write.
There are several versions available. Explore the different speech recognition options below!
- Speech recognition capability is built into the operating system.
- The computer will recognize your voice and spoken commands.
- Run programs and interact with Windows or dictate into word processing programs.
- Fill out online forms or edit text. View common commands in Windows speech recognition.
- Dragon learns the words and phrases you use the most to minimize corrections.
- Optimizes accuracy for speakers with accents or in slightly noisy environments, such as an office cubicle.
- Smart Format Rules automatically adapt to how you want abbreviations, dates, phone numbers and more to appear.
- Apply formatting by voice, such as bold or underline.
- Work within popular business applications.
Three versions are available:
- Speed through document creation 3x faster than typing with up to 99% recognition accuracy.
- Optimizes accuracy for speakers with accents or in slight noisy environments, such as an office cubicle.
- Supports the latest applications, including Microsoft Word 2016 and Microsoft Outlook 2016, Apple Pages, Apple Keynote, Apple Numbers, and Scrivener, with Full Text Control, for fully voice-driven editing and command capabilities.