February is therapeutic recreation month
According to the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) the purpose of National Therapeutic Recreation Month is “to enhance public awareness of public awareness of therapeutic recreation programs and recreational therapy services.”
Our grads have discovered that there are no limits to their recreational interests. They have participated in everything from hunting big game in Africa, to gardening in their backyards. They have developed camps and foundations and have become wonderful peer mentors.
Craig’s Therapeutic Recreation Department offerings:
- Greenhouse with an accessible garden, small theater, and computer lab
- Weight training room, full court gymnasium, and a swimming pool year round
- A remarkable collection of equipment available to our patients including all-terrain vehicles, equestrian gear, hand-cycles and recumbent foot pedal bikes, sports chairs, kiln for pottery, stained glass equipment, remote-controlled sailboats and cars, innovative bowling equipment and a lot more!
- Community outings with our trained staff: Trips include shopping, movies, museums, bowling, professional sporting events, hot air ballooning, white water rafting, fishing, hunting and more
Craig’s Therapeutic Recreation Adventure Program (brochure)
- Loaded with unique opportunities for travel, sports and outdoor recreation
- Offers a range of sessions to alumni and current patients that include introductory level classes such as SCUBA diving, hand cycling, fishing, hunting and horseback riding
We also go on exotic trips to SCUBA dive in places like Belize, horse packing through the Rocky Mountains, local and national cycling tours and races and cruises to the Caribbean and Alaska. Here in beautiful Colorado we enjoy hot air ballooning, sailing and rafting, to name a few. The powerful impact of this program is bringing together newly injured individuals with alumni to enhance the experience of the Adventure Program