Mounts, Holders and Stands
Being able to access computers, phones and smart devices can open so many opportunities for those recovering from brain or spinal cord injuries. In the Assistive Technology Lab at Craig Hospital, our patients can learn about and trial options for holding their devices so they can use them from their wheelchairs or beds.
Computer Desk Resources
Here are a few things we encourage our patients to consider when purchasing a computer desk:
- Do you need it to be height adjustable?
- Will you be using your computer in different height chairs and/or your bed?
- Will you adjust the height yourself or have your caregiver do it?
- Do you need it to be mobile (will you be using the computer in different locations)?
- Do you need to roll your chair underneath it, so you can access the keyboard or mouse with your hands?
- Do you need to shift your weight in your wheelchair without having to first back out?
- Do you need additional space for your printer, mouse, keyboard tray, etc.?
Listed below are a few examples of computer carts and tables patients at Craig Hospital have used and enjoyed. Along with the resources listed in this section, you may also want to search the internet for “adjustable computer cart” or “wheelchair accessible computer table.”
- Accella Adjustable Activity/Computer Table: A height-adjustable table ideal for wheelchairs or computer work stations. Especially useful when frequent adjustments are needed. Adjustment range is 27-39 inches. Its hand crank adjusts at five turns per inch.
- Anthro Adjustable Point-of-Care Cart: Adjusts from 27 ½ to 37 ½ inches (however, this may require assistance from a caregiver). Offers a small footprint. Holds up to 150 pounds. Can be easily used while in bed or in a wheelchair. Note: You’ll need the Ergotron LCD holder to use this cart while in bed.
- Autonomous Smartdesk: Self-adjusting sit/stand desk remembers four different height positions. For an additional fee, you can also access smart home controls, manage your calendar and more using voice commands. Comes in a variety of sizes and finishes.
- Bekant Sit/Stand Desk: Electrically adjust the height from 22 to 48 inches. Holds up to 150 pounds. Also includes a cable management system.
- Electric Standing Desk by Standup Desk Store: Adjusts your height between 29 1/2 and 45 1/4 inches with the push of a button. Lockable castors provide portability and stability.
- Easychair Workstation: Adjustable boom arm mounted on a stand with rollers allows you to use your computer from a recliner, bed or wheelchair.
- Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm: When mounted on a cart, provides easy viewing of your screen from bed. The LX frees up space and allows positioning of your display for greater productivity. It is a good option if you want to weight shift without first having to back out your wheelchair.
- 48-Inch Crank Adjustable Standing Desk: Easily adjusts from sit to standing. Mobile and adjustable to meet your everyday needs.
- Hertz Connections Work Center: Adjusts 24-36 inches in height. Screws are used to adjust in one-inch increments.
- VersaTables: Stand up desk comes in four different widths (36, 48, 60 and 72 inches) and two different depths (24 and 30 inches). The surface can be adjusted 26 inches to a maximum height of 52 inches. Offers both electric and manual height adjustment.
- Vox Adjustable Activity/Computer Table: Power adjustable from 24-50 inches. Aluminum telescoping legs. Available in many sizes, shapes and finishes. Five-year limited warranty.
Mounts are used to secure your smart device to a wheelchair or table top. Here are a few things we encourage our patients to consider when purchasing them:
- How/where will your device mount to your wheelchair, bed rail or counter top?
- How high do you need your device elevated from the base of the mount?
- Once installed, will you still need to adjust the mount to suit your needs (i.e., moving it out of the way when you’re pulling up to a table)?
- Have you checked with your wheelchair’s manufacturer to see if they also offer mounts specifically designed for your chair?
- Will the mount accommodate a case for your device?
- What is the vendor’s return policy?
Note: There are many mounts available for securing personal devices inside cars. Search the internet to find the right product for your needs.
- ARKON Heavy Duty Table, Desk or Wheelchair Tablet Mount: Fits tablets 9-12 inches in screen size, even with cases. Comes with a four-hole drill base and is recommended for permanent installation.
- Articulating Arm for All iPads/Tall Adjustable Tablet Holder: Includes the Super-Clamp, which allows you to mount your tablet to wheelchairs, bedrails, desks and tables. There are two segments with joint adjustments in three places. It can reach up to 24 inches. Note: A mouth stick holder can be added to this product by RJ Cooper.
- BESTEK Desktop/Bed Clamp Mount: Full motion, rotatable with 360-degree gooseneck arm that allows you to set your iPad’s position, height and viewing angle to meet your needs.
- BESTEK Gooseneck Phone Mount: Desktop/bed holder with a sturdy clip, flexible and adjustable; works well on a night stand. Gooseneck is 34 inches long.
- Friction Knob with Super Clamp: Designed for fast, easy and secure placement of any device to most flat or tubular surfaces by adjusting one knob. The arm extends to 20 1/2 inches.
- Gooseneck Arm Mount with Super Clamp: Mounts to most flat or tubular surfaces, has a reach/range of 19 inches and can hold up to one pound.
- Hover with Super Clamp Mounting System: Made from ultra-light and strong carbon fiber. At 1.1 pounds, Hover is 60% lighter than the company’s popular Friction Knob or Lever Universal Mounting Systems. Has a 24-inch reach.
- ModularHose Clamp Arm with Mounting Disc: Loc-Line’s ball and socket design is adjustable for both position and length. It is a helpful solution for holding lightweight items. Includes 1- and 2-foot length of ¾-inch Loc-Line tubing.
- Mogo Mounting Solutions: This versatile modular hose product allows you to select the correct clamp, arm and holder to meet your mounting needs. Their QuickClick system offers the ability to switch out ends for different accessories quickly and easily.
- Spring Clamp: 6 inches in length, 2-inch opening with heavy duty vinyl tips. Best used on flat surfaces.
- Adjustable Clamp: Mounts to flat surfaces or round tubes. Jaw opens to 2 inches.
- Double Ball Arm: Comes in 4-, 6- or 8-inch lengths. Create a variety of custom solutions by easily adding extra lengths or clamps.
- Flexible Steel Arm: Lightweight and sturdy, comes in 6- to 30-inch lengths. Can hold 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds, depending on length and configuration.
- Modular Plastic Arm: Designed for lightweight applications, this modular product can be popped apart to create a customized solution.
- Phone Holder: Designed for devices 2 1/4 to 4 inches wide, adjusts to most phones and cases.
- Tablet Holder: Adjusts to hold virtually all size tablets.
- Mount’n Mover Wheelchair Mount: Tilts, turns and adjusts to your needs. This high-end mount can be customized for those with limited mobility and holds a variety of devices, such as laptops, notebooks, tablets and cell phones.
- RAM Mounts: Leading provider of mounting equipment and systems. The company offers entire kits or individual components. There are a variety of modular arms, bases and mounts to create the product that works best for you. If you are connecting multiple arms or a heavy tablet, you may want to consider using a larger ball size for better stability. A typical mount has three components: the base, the arm and the mount that holds the device to the arm.
- Smart Phone Sleeper: Universal smart phone holder with a 9-inch base and a 27-inch gooseneck arm that allows for mobility and multiple position options.
- Scosche MagicMount: Magnetic mounting system for smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices. Suction cup base plus automotive-grade adhesive mounting disk provide a secure hold on most surfaces.
- Tab Grabber eReader Holder for Wheelchairs: Mounts and holds e-readers and tablets securely for easy access with an 18-inch gooseneck arm. Features a unique swivel head that adjusts for optimal viewing and interactive positioning. The base clamp is designed to mount to round tubing up to 1 1/8-inch diameter, accommodating most wheelchair frame sizes.
- Unite™ Wheelchair Mount: C-clamp allows you to attach most 7 to 12-inch tablets to flat or round surfaces. Its carbon fiber arms lock into place for a secure grip that resists shaking. It can easily be moved to a bed rail or counter surface. Arm length is limited to 13 inches.
Stands are an inexpensive way to combine flexibility and stability when positioning your smart device. There are many to choose from depending on your needs. The following are some of the most popular floor, table top and lap stands:
- Levo Floor Mount iPad: Six movements place your device in multiple positions while you sit in a chair or lie in bed. Holds tablets weighing up to four lbs.
- PylePro iPad Floor Stand: Securely holds iPad (1st-4th generation) without scratching or marring it. Multi-angle adjustment allows precise positioning, so all controls, buttons and connectors are accessible when iPad is clipped on. The multi-mount design provides both horizontal and vertical orientation of the device
Table Top and Lap Stands
- IKEA Brada Laptop Support: Inexpensive; a rubber strip on the underside keeps the unit firmly in place while you are working at a desk or countertop.
- Laid Back Laptop Support: Can position your laptop’s front edge within millimeters of your body, so you don't have to constantly lift your elbows and arms to use your keyboard.
- PadPillow Pillow Stand for iPad: Soft pillow lets you rest your iPad on your lap.
- Prop n’ Go Slim: Adjustable bed holder and lap stand for iPad, iPad Air, iPad mini, tablets and e-readers with multi-angle control.
- The Wedge Stand: Designed to hold your cell phone or tablet securely at a natural reading angle no matter where you are. Easily transportable and adjustable.
- Trabasack Computer and Tablet Carrying Cases: Provides a portable, modern alternative to traditional bean bag lap trays. Comes with a sturdy work surface on one side and can open up to store your tablet when you aren’t using it.
* The Tech Lab offers these resources for educational purposes and does not endorse any products, including those mentioned on this site. Many others are available. Please check online for additional products, manufacturers and user reviews.