Does your choice for a rehabilitation program matter?
The simple answer is, yes it does. If you or a family member sustains a spinal cord or traumatic brain injury, a specialty rehabilitation center can be the difference in the potential for the most independent life possible post-rehabilitation.
But how do you know what rehabilitation center is right for you? Start by asking questions.
16 questions to help you choose a rehabilitation hospital:
- How many patients who have injuries similar to the patient I know are treated per year at this facility?
- How many patients are being treated for this type of injury right now?
- Are there patients here whose ages are about the same as the patient I know?
- Is the facility a specialty center, and if so, for how long has it focused on that specialization? What specialty accreditations does the facility have?
- How many years of experience do the physicians have, on average? Staff?
- How long have the physicians practiced at the facility? Are they full-time or part-time?
- Which physicians, therapists, and other professionals will work with the patient?
- Who will be the patient’s primary physician, and does he/she specialize in this particular injury?
- Is air transportation available?
- Are specialty education programs available for patients and families during rehabilitation? What are they? And are there brain injury or spinal cord injury resources available after they leave?
- What is the family’s role? What are the policies regarding family visitation?
- Is there designated low-cost housing available near your facility?
- Who will help with discharge planning before the patient comes home?
- Are long-term follow-up services provided? If so, what are they? And are there peer mentorship networks available?
- Are the physicians and staff currently involved with research and training? If so, in what areas?
- What is the caseload size for the nursing, treatment, and counseling staff?
Download a printable version of the checklist to help you keep track.
Want to know where Craig stands on these questions? Learn what Craig has to offer as a specialty rehabilitation hospital.